Happy Monday! Is there such a thing as a happy Monday, I say absolutely, it’s all in the attitude – right? How are you all holding up during the most dreadful month of the year? I am hanging in there, and dare I say, it’s actually going fast. It’s almost already half way over…Now wishing time to speed up (even during the month of January) is not something I am comfortable with, time already goes by WAY too fast…so maybe I am learning to enjoy the winter months – doubtful, but once again, it’s all in the attitude :).
Anyways, to go along with the weather, I have another warm comfort food to share with you. This is a recipe I have been making for years, and I honestly don’t know where I got it…but chances are, you probably have one very similar (if not the same) as this one. Taco Soup is one of those extremely common recipes, that everyone has as a “go-to” recipe for a simple, tasty, and relatively healthy dinner.
Truth be told, Taco Soup is not my favorite. I enjoy a bowl every once in awhile…but my husband LOVES it! In fact, I make a big pot of it once a week, so he has it for lunch almost daily, and this has been going on for a few years (I promise it’s a true story).
Notes: I like to use my Homemade Taco Seasoning in this recipe, but a packet of store bought seasoning would work in a pinch if needed.
- 1 pound ground meat (I have used both turkey and beef and both work great)
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can kidney beans
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can corn (whole kernel)
- 1 (28 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe (link above)
- Brown and drain the meat
- Pour the entire can of kidney beans, corn, and tomatoes (including juices) into a large pot
- Add the browned meat and taco seasoning mix
- Allow to simmer 20-30 minutes
- Calories: 161 Fat: 2 grams Carbs: 18 grams Protein: 20 grams