If you were going to ask me what my favorite comfort food is, it would probably change depending on my mood…but it would almost certainly be some type of bread or starchy food (toast [I love toast], graham crackers and milk [a definite favorite], cinnamon rolls [I don’t know what I like more, the taste or the smell], fresh baked bread or rolls, and yes…biscuits). Unfortunately, traditional biscuits are made with refined white flour (and lots of it – not the healthiest choice)…until now.
I was craving bread the other night, and instead of reaching for my typical whole wheat toast topped with coconut oil and honey I decided to get creative…and homemade biscuits sounded DEEELICIOUS! I got to work (even though it was honestly 11pm at night – it’s when I get my best work done).
Wow, am I glad I decided against my routine toast because not only are these Simple Drop Biscuits gluten free, grain free, and made with nutritient dense and high protein almond flour…but they taste soooo GOOD! Really they do, and they are so easy to make. Seriously, in less than 30 minutes you can have fresh baked biscuits in your mouth :). I can’t think of a good reason why you shouldn’t go make them – right now!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 5 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (yes Tbsp is accurate)
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, chilled
- 1 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Shift together the almond flour, arrowroot powder, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, and coconut sugar
- Cut in the coconut oil until a crumbly mixture is form
- Mix in the milk until a dough forms (it is ok if it is slightly lumpy)
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned
- Calories: 137 Fat: 11 grams Carbs: 9 grams Protein: 3 grams