Alright, I hate titles like this “Protein Milkshake.” I have never had a milkshake that taste like it has protein in it, and I have never had a protein shake that taste like a milkshake…until NOW!!! I know, I know I am just putting the title up there to make it sound like it taste good, but then I will realize it just taste like well…a protein shake…I promise this is GOOD! I wouldn’t try to “trick” you. Like when people make crazy claims that spaghetti squash taste just like spaghetti – no it doesn’t. Spaghetti squash is delicious (I highly recommend trying Mizithra and Browned Butter Spaghetti Squash), but it doesn’t taste anything like spaghetti (it just looks like it :).
Anyways, back to the milkshake. This particular recipe is my go-to protein shake. It is a delicious way to get in some nutrients and an extra kick of protein, and to be completely honest, protein shakes are not my favorite. I tend to be really sensitive to different types of protein powders (which is why I only eat plant based ones), and I am not crazy about the taste of them…but once again, this one is different and I LOVE it! I will eat this for breakfast, lunch, or as a post workout snack…basically any time of the day works for this guy.
If you are interested in a plant based protein powder, I use Plant Fusion brand. It is my favorite. I also recommend adding a heaping handful of spinach or kale to this shake. It will add a ton of nutrients and you won’t taste a thing. I didn’t for the picture, because it does make the color a murky green/brown color (not the most appetizing).
- 1 cup ice
- 1 frozen banana (frozen is a must here - it yields the BEST results)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (any type of milk should work fine)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Plant Fusion)
- 2 Tbsp peanut flour (or PB2) or Tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 packet stevia
- Blend all ingredients together and enjoy
- Nutritional Information (based on plant fusion protein powder and peanut flour)
- Calories: 310 Fat: 6.7 grams Carbs: 38.5 grams Protein: 28.8 grams