I know, I know enchilada and casserole are two meals that typically scream NOT healthy! How on earth could I combine them to create a healthy dinner? The answer is don’t give up any of the flavor and simplify. This Enchilada Casserole is made with only a handful of ingredients making it a healthy choice to serve to you and your family. Plus it tastes great, comes together super fast, and is great for leftovers! My favorite kind of dinner.
A few suggestion for when you decide to make it. Feel free to use more cheese, if you are a big cheese lover. I thought 1 cup was plenty, and might decrease it next time…but I am more of a little bit of cheese gal, rather than smothered in as much cheese as possible type of gal. Personal preference :). I also used ground turkey, but ground beef or chicken would work just as well. This recipe also doubles really easily, just make extra layers in your pan. Finally, be aware of the enchilada sauce you are buying (or make your own). A lot of the store bought enchilada sauces come with some unwanted ingredients. I found an organic brand, and I am so so sorry, I can’t remember what it was. If I think of it I will update this post.
Now a little side note; some of you may have noticed that my postings have started to become sparce – I appologize. I have been super busy (excuses, excuses – I know). I am going to be better about posting on a more routing basis.
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 4oz can diced green chilis
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cans red enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brown the meat with the diced onion and garlic until meat it cooked through
- Remove from heat and stir the green chilis into the meat mixture
- Spread one can of enchilada sauce onto the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish
- Layer 4 corn tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce
- Layer 1/2 of the cheese on top of the tortillas
- Layer the meat mixture
- Layer the remaining 4 tortillas
- Layer the remaining cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Calories: 252 Fat: 7.4 grams Carbs: 2 grams Protein: 23 grams