I am a creature of habit.. I follow the same route when shopping at the grocery store, I load the dishwasher the same (basic) way every time, I eat the same varieties of foods for breakfast and lunch, etc. My systems break when it comes to dinner. I can’t eat the same thing for dinner every night. I don’t know why it doesn’t bother me for lunch and breakfast, and not dinner…but it does. I need variety for dinner.
Consequently, I am always looking for new ways to prepare the basic dinner staples – protein, vegetables, and a whole grain. When I first started cooking healthy dinners every night – many years ago. I was “scared” of fats (even healthy fats), so I basically served the same thing for dinner night after night (chicken, plain brown rice, and steamed broccoli)…so BORING, and as you can imagine dinner became less of a priority, and I didn’t look forward to sitting down and eating with my family (although making dinner and coming up with a menu was super simple – I guess there is a give and take both ways). Nowadays, I am no longer “scared” of healthy fats, and depend on them to flavor my foods, and I am a huge advocate of healthy, flavorful, meals. I now look forward to cooking and serving dinner – it’s amazing how things change…I never thought I would be admitting to the world that I like to cook dinner!
Anyways, this Coconut Lime Chicken with Cilantro Brown Rice recipe meets all my current dinner requirements – healthy, high in protein, whole grains, healthy fats, simple, flavorful, and makes a balanced meal when served with a heaping serving of vegetables. It’s an all around win! My family loved it, and even devoured the leftovers the next day. The chicken does require a marinade, so you have to plan ahead a little bit…but it also makes it taste so yummy! I highly recommend adding this to your weeknight dinner menu.
- 1 pound chicken breast or chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ginger, or 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 Cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- Combine all ingredients together except for the chicken in a mixing bowl to create a marinade
- Pour marinade into a large freezer bag and add the chicken
- Allow to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours
- Once done marinating, place on grill and cook until cooked through, basting the chicken with the excess marinade while it cooks
- Combine all the ingredients for the rice in a large bowl
- Serve with the chicken
- Chicken can be placed on skews for ease during grilling and serving
- I used full fat coconut milk - light coconut milk maybe substituted, but I have not tried it and cannot vouch for the results.