Sometimes in the food blogging world, you hit the jackpot with a new recipe…and that is exactly what I did with this one, definitely one of my proudest moments (forget graduation, getting married, having kids, etc – – ha ha :). Okay okay, I am obviously exaggerating, but seriously only a little bit. These bars are GOOD, and addictive, and decadent, and indulgent, and everything you could possible want from a dessert plus more.
If you are a nay sayer and think that you can’t make decadent dessert without using refined flour, sugar, and eggs, I double dare you to make these and try them. I can pretty much guarantee you will be converted to my side :)!
If you are like me and already believe that simple whole foods can be every bit as decadent as traditional desserts than you are in for a treat today. These Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pie Bars are insanely delicious (have I mentioned that yet), grain free, gluten free, dairy free, made with natural sweeteners, and vegan! Yes, it is to good to be true, but I assure you it is – sometimes you can get the best of both worlds.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (I used raw, but roasted would work as well)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all of the ingredients for the base
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with aluminum foil and grease the foil (the aluminum foil is optional, it just makes clean-up way easier)
- Press the dough for the base into the greased baking dish
- Sprinkle the pecans and chocolate chips on top of the base
- Combine the ingredients for the caramel in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Allow to come to a boil and then simmer 10-15 minutes until the mixture start to caramelize (stirring frequently)
- Pour the caramel over the pecan and chocolate chip topping
- Bake for 20-30 or until the caramel is nice and bubbly all over
- Allow to cool and serve
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge