Happy Labor Day! I hope you are all having a fun and safe holiday weekend. Did you get a chance to work out in your garden? I didn’t, mostly because I don’t have a garden…but my neighbors did some work in their garden, and I got to reap some of their hard work rewards. They brought me over three large zucchinis and a bunch of tomatoes. I have the best neighbors ever! I love getting fresh produce – you can’t beat a garden tomato, they are so dang tasty. The zucchini also gave me a chance to do some experimenting in the kitchen, which is super fun for me (I know I am weird).
I have already made multiple batches of my Blueberry Zucchini Bread, so I was thinking I wanted to make something savory with my next zucchini. Which is exactly what these Baked Zucchini Fritters are…a savory fritter made with simple wholesome ingredients, and they are oh-so-good!
They were so yummy in fact, that I ate some of the leftovers cold. I was a little bit snacky one afternoon, so I looked in the refrigerator, saw the fritters and heard them calling my name, and I had to partake immediately – as in while I was standing in the doorway of the fridge. Which totally goes against my advice about How to Avoid the Trap of Mindless Snacking – but they were calling my name, and they tasted so good, even when they were cold. Plus they are jam packed with shredded zucchini, so I figured it was better than eating handfuls of dark chocolate chips while browsing through the cupboards to find something to satisfy my snacking needs – not that I have ever done that :).
Anyways, these fritters are super simple to make, and will use up your zucchini in a hurry (one batch call for an entire large zucchini) – which if you have zucchini coming out of your ears, that is probably a good thing!
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 3 oz soft goat cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Combine the zucchini and salt together and set aside
- Beat the egg and goat cheese together until smooth
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper to the egg and cheese mixture and mix well
- Remove all the excess water from the zucchini (place the zucchini in a thin dish towel and squeeze out the water)
- Add zucchini to the egg and cheese mixture and combine well
- Spoon out 8 equal size amounts of the mixture onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven, and flip the fritters over
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes
- Calories: 89 Fat: 6 Carbs: 3 Protein: 7
Does food ever call your name?
Do you have zucchini coming out of your ears?